English Functional Skills
Subject: Functional Skills English Year: 10 Exam Board : NCFE
Course Code: Level 1: 501/1660/5 Level 2: 600/0140/9
Area of Study :
Functional skills are practical and applied skills in English which allow students to work confidently, effectively and independently in the workplace. The course aims to improve Functional English skills in reading, writing, speaking and listening.
Course Content :
1. Writing formal texts e.g. letters, e-mails, leaflets, adverts and a range of other texts by using format, structure suitable for purpose and audience
2. Developing reading skills
3. Developing spelling strategies, using punctuation correctly and effectively
4. Building confidence to do presentations
5. Taking part in formal/informal discussions and exchanges that include unfamiliar subjects
Students will finish with a recognised English qualification.
Component 1 – Speaking and Listening Controlled Assessment – 30 minutes ( internally assessed and externally moderated by NCFE )
Component 2- Reading – 45 minutes ( online exam)
Component 3 – Writing – 45 minutes ( online exam)
To be awarded the NCFE Functional Skills qualification in English at Level 1 and Level 2, students are required to successfully complete all three mandatory components by achieving their task-based assessments. The three components are weighted equally.
Students use the following books in lesson and will at times use them at home to complete Homework.
Students are registered to and will have home access to the following website